Tuesday, May 1, 2012

CHAPTER ONE


Congratulations, you are one of the two people to read this Blog! Really, this is such an obscure subject to write a blog about that I am just so happy that it landed in your hands. As for that other person, you really ought to get in touch with each other; I bet you have a lot in common!

Writing a Blog about designing Renaissance Faires is not something anyone has attempted before. Each Faire has been responsible for creating their own internal bibles for explaining the rules and techniques for running and working within their event, but there has never been one source that collects all those small details that many Faires have in common.


I am proud to say that my roots as an artist begin as an art director for the Living History Center’s Renaissance Pleasure Faires in Northern and Southern California. My experience later expanded to include designing for the Disney theme parks as a Sr. Show Designer for Walt Disney Imagineering. Over the years I have designed attractions, video games, theatre sets, and 3D virtual worlds, all the while building on those very first lessons I learned as the designer for the Faire. I can now safely say that many, if not all of the principles I learned in those early years designing outdoor events has influenced and aided me in the design of everything I work on today. Whether it is building with concrete or polygons the basic rules of entertaining people through the creation of theatrical fantasy environments holds true to this day.

This book has been quietly simmering in the back of my mind for years and only now comes to the surface through multiple conversations with other past and present Faire folk that are seeking a source of information on the guidelines for designing and participating in a cohesive themed event. There are enough Renaissance Faires throughout the world for it to be presumptuous of me to suggest that I have all the answers for every event or audience demographic, so I offer my comments and suggestions as merely food for thought.

Renaissance Faires represent an ever growing and evolving industry, and are very often formed by the organic love and energy put into their creation. There are no set rules as to what does or does not constitute a good event, but there are some principles that do work if applied with focused intent. My goal is to layout some ideas that work, not just for Renaissance Faires, but for all variety of themed environments.  I will go over subjects that include laying out a good Faire, explore challenges that are unique to this form of entertainment, and offer tips on making choices that will help make your event not only more beautiful, but more profitable as well.

Have a look through the following chapters and see if there are tidbits that are specific to how you participate in the creation of a Faire. Whether you are the owner, promoter, or one of thousands of participants, there should be information specifically for you. A Renaissance Faire, as with any themed event, is grounded in a group agreement about the style, era, and ultimate goals of the show you are trying to produce. An event will succeed or fail based on everyone’s wiliness to focus their efforts to this shared vision. Building a truly immersive environment depends on the time, energy, and financial commitment of everyone involved, and this I guarantee will far exceed the efforts and capital investments necessary to pull off something like a more traditional crafts fair.

Lastly, this is a love letter to not only the Faires I grow up attending and participating in, but to all those friends who’s lives were equally changed by this shared experience. I have talked with enough of them over the years to realize the impact of those years spent “Playing Faire”, and hope that the notes held within this book will act as a beginning blueprint for future Faires, and help them to build their own unique events upon.

15 comments:

  1. I am working with the Washington Midsummer Faire and am very happy to have stumbled upon your blog- thanks for all the great info- seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christa,

    Thanks for your kinds words! That is exactly why I posted it here, I figured anyone who might need it will stumble on it as well. Best of luck with your Faire, please let me know if you have any questions on elements or principles that might not have appeared in the Blog. :)

    Don Carson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! What a discovery. I know what I'm going to be reading for awhile! So glad to see this Don. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greg,

    Honored that you are looking it over! :)

    ~Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Don, I'm sharing this on my Linkedin page. I hope you are doing well old friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caught this through Paitoon's posting on Linkedin, very cool blog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best blog I have ever read. I read the entire thing in one night and wished there was more. The idea of rag rope alone is going to help our event immensely. Don, you have to publish this book, I personally will buy 2 copies right away. It will become the 'Backstage Handbook' of renaissance faires; everyone (creatively involved with faires) will have one, constantly refer to it, and hate to loan it out. Have you considered a kickstarter? I would back it today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second the "Kickstarter" idea... meanwhile, I'm going to be forwarding the link to my ShrewFaire friends, and trying to incorporate some ideas for our demo space this fall... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I found it late, but I found it and I'm glad I did. I'm cobbling together a blog of my own, called Building the Magic, about various DIY projects (geared mostly to a LARP crowd, but also for SCAdians, Rennies, and other such wonderful people) with an intent to remove/hide anachronisms and create that elusive Immersion experience. This blog is such a perfect expression of love for that experience. I adore it, and can't wait to tell my readers about it as well. Thank you for creating magic in a world sorely lacking it.

    Laura/"Mistletoe"
    http://buildingthemagic.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stumbled across this by googling "renaissance tarot booth"... I worked SCRPF in the 90s, and had a wonderful time of it. Now, I'm reading tarot professionally, and want a nice booth that gives the patron a good feel for what's going on. I love your illustrations, and the decor ideas. Thank you so much for posting this (and keeping it up all these years!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you found it and that it was helpful. The very best of luck with your Tarot booth design! ~Don

      Delete
  11. Hello Don,

    This is absolutely amazing! Splendiferous! Magnelephant! Did this ever turn into a book? I second Akamos in 2013, I would love to buy a copy to help craft our school's Renaissance Faire. Well, maybe 2 copies, one for the club and one just for me. I hope you're doing well!
    Cheers,
    ~Haley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haley,

      Many thanks. Still not a book, yet. I promise to let you know if I ever push pass the inertia and get the thing down in book form. ~Don

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for documenting your extensive knowledge on this subject. I dream of having my own faire in the next year and a half, but there is almost no information on doing so out there. I'm doing what I can to find out about the business side of running a faire (costs, vendor agreements, zoning, security, how to anticipate crowd size as well as knowing how many stages, craftspeople, food vendors, and taverns are needed). I have a little business experience, but a faire seems impossible at times. You've gotten me a little bit closer to making it happen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Olivia, the very best of luck organizing your own Faire. A good way to start is to begin small and grow, not only your business but your "Faire Kit-of-Parts", building upon it year after year. The other smart thing is to establish the "rules" of your events. Deciding early on that you will be historically accurate, you will embrace participants and performers, and that you will inspire your craftspeople to sell "period" wares is a good place to start. I see too many events hire out talent and buckle under the Costco "pop-tent" booths which can be a slippery slope to an event that has lost the spirit of Faire before it has even begun.

    ReplyDelete